There’s no better place than the Online News Association’s annual conference to learn about the latest digital trends from news leaders, test new tools and connect with peers to share your work. We’re committed to continuing that tradition — bringing together the brightest minds in digital journalism to share innovative ideas and imagine what’s possible for the future.
Conference registration will open by mid-April, and the hotel room block will be available in February.
Reasons to attend ONA19
- Improve your work: In our post-conference survey (yes, we really read every answer), the top reason people cite for attending our events is to learn. The conference represents an incredible cross-section of best practices and smart problem-solvers that will help you level up your work. Some discussions may prompt you to think about an ongoing problem in a new light and others may just give you that next big moonshot idea.
- Get efficient: Find tools and workflow tips that will help you get your work done smarter and more efficiently so you can focus on those big-picture needs. Are you a manager or executive? We’ve got plenty of ideas for improving team structure and developing new partnerships.
- Get recognized: ONA19 is a chance for you and your organization to show everyone — including talented recruits — what contributions you’re making to the field. Whether you’re presenting, showcasing your work as a finalist for the Online Journalism Awards, or just being an all-star at our many, many networking events, the conference represents the one of the best places in journalism to shine.
- Get focused: Learn about upcoming trends and think about the challenges you face in your work environment. Our conference can help you set your strategic priorities for the next year.
- Build your cohort: Find like-minded folks that you can connect with during and after the conference to kick around ideas and problem-solve common issues together. A number of Slack, Facebook and in-person meetup groups for digital journalism have their roots in past ONA events!
- Save money: We have an incredible amount of terrific sponsors who put a lot of resources — not just money, but also tools, time and talent — into making this event happen. What that means for you is that there’s no more efficient way to collectively achieve everything listed above. We’ve got it all, under one roof, distilled into three packed days. There’s bang for your buck here.
What attendees say
“I always have at least one jaw-drop moment at ONA where I learn one ‘big’ thing that was worth the price of admission all by itself. 2018 did not disappoint, but it came with plenty of smaller jaw-drop moments to cement the trend.” – Journalist
“The opportunity to meet others in our industry. As an entry-level reporter straight out of school, I found it exciting to speak to peers (especially represented in the volunteer corps) as well as more experienced professionals at sessions and mingling events.”
“The amazing combination of level-headedness and optimism that I haven’t experienced in the news in a while.” – Journalist
“The conference is inclusive, fun, and informative. I most enjoy the mix of programming, from research-based sessions to hands-on workshops. ” – Educator
“Positive vibe toward change, openness about discussing issues, access to people who are at the forefront of the evolution of online news.”